Folsom Focus Photography Contest 2022
14th Folsom Focus Photography Contest
October 7, 2022 to January 10, 2023
Sponsored by the Folsom Arts Association
at the Gallery at 48 Natoma
***** AWARDS *****
Best of Show $50
1st Place $35 * 2nd Place $10 Gift Card
3rd Place $5 Gift Card
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards are for each age group and category.
Awards announced at the opening reception
Friday October 14 from 6 to 8 p.m.
Gallery at 48 Natoma
This contest encourages amateur photographers of all ages to submit their favorite photos that showcase Folsom from their own unique perspective. Contestants are not required to be Folsom residents, but all photographs submitted MUST be an image taken in FOLSOM and identifiable as such. All entries must fit into one of the categories listed below. Entry fee is $6 per photo.
Best of Show – Folsom Focus 2019
Angel Wings by Donna Ruiz
New this year and other important information.
- Photos must be mounted on black foam core board to the 8×10” size, with no framing. NO white foam core or mat board.
- A limited supply of the black foam core board can be requested during the registration process – one per entry. The foam core board(s) will be available to pick up at the Gallery at 48. Black foam core can also be purchased from most craft supply stores.
- Accepting entries September 1 through 15, or until full.
- Online registration opens September 1. Check back to register online.
- Entries limited to a total of three (3) photos in any category..
Rules, Guidelines, and Registration
Age Groups and Categories
Capture life in Folsom using one of the four categories as your guideline. Entries will be accepted in two age categories (15 years of age and under, or 16 years of age and older) for each theme. Awards will be given for each age category.
Folsom Outdoors – capture landscapes, waterscapes, trails and parks. Photographs can include people if the subject clearly defines the outdoor activity and be sure to get their permission!
Folsom Wildlife – Showcase your favorite photos of Folsom’s wildlife: birds, deer, raccoon, snakes, frogs, etc.
Urban Folsom – Feature urban scenes including buildings, street scenes and events. Photos can include people, just be sure to have their permission to take and use their photo!
Macro Photography – Get really close to your subject: flowers, insects, water, etc. Please only submit photos of subjects that you shot in Folsom and that exist in Folsom.
Accepting entries September 1 through 15, or until full.
Photos on display at the Gallery at 48 Natoma October 7 to January 10, 2023.
Opening reception and awards at the Gallery at 48 Natoma in Folsom October 14 from 6 to 8 p.m.
Online registration opens September 1. Check back to register online.
Photos must be mounted on black foam core board to the 8×10” size, with no framing. No white foam core or mat board. Registration and payment are online. A copy of your entry form will be emailed to you once you register.
The Gallery at 48 Natoma Arts and Senior Center
48 Natoma Street, Folsom CA 95630
September 15 through 30, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
* Any camera type may be used, including cell phones.
* Entry fee is $6 per photo, payable online.
* Each person may enter a total of three (3) photographs per category.
* Photos may be “tweaked’ or “enhanced” – such as exposure, dodging, burning, cropping, lens correction, color correction. We want however, all photos to be true to what the photographer originally saw.
* All photos must be 8” x 10″ prints, landscape or portrait orientation, no exceptions.
* Photos must be mounted on black foam core board to the 8″ × 10” size, with no framing. No white foam core or mat board. A limited supply of the black foam core board can be requested during the registration process – one per entry. The foam core board(s) will be available to pick up at the Gallery at 48 Natoma. Black foam core board can also be purchased from most craft supply stores.
* Visit YouTube on Mounting A Print on Foam Core – youtube.com/watch?v=z4-6uJ2uTeY. Although this video shows white foam core board, please NOTE that all photos must be mounted on black foam core board.
* Attach the entry form to the back of each foam core board, identifying entrant name, photo title, category, age group, where or at what event the photo was taken, and the date the photo was taken. For the Macro category, we appreciate you identifying the subject matter.
* Photos submitted or received after the entry deadline are ineligible.
* Contestants are not required to be a Folsom resident.
* Open to amateur photographers: those who do not sell photography or make a substantial living from their photography.
* The contestant must be the actual photographer for the image entered.
* Each photographic image must be of a Folsom subject, activity, etc. of the category selected.
* Folsom Arts Association reserves the right to disqualify or remove any inappropriate photographs, as they deem necessary.
* Members of the Folsom Arts Association board of directors, Folsom Focus committee members, or city employees participating as contest planners and/or judges, along with family members may enter the contest but they are not eligible for an award.
* All photos must be picked up by participants at the Gallery at 48 Natoma between January 11-25, 2023.
* Photos and Ribbons not collected by January 25 will be discarded, no exceptions.
This year’s judges are Sally Cullen, Terrie Gray, and Kathy Kayner. Click to learn more about the judges.
Photos will be judged based on visual appeal, pictorial composition, originality and consistency with the contest category theme. Judging will be based on clear focus, creativity, and the photo must be identifiable with a Folsom event or location. Decisions of the judging panel are final.
* Award-winners agree that the Folsom Arts Association and the City of Folsom may use their photo(s) for publicizing the current and future Folsom Focus photo contests, other publications, advertisements, and promotional materials. Award-winners will be asked to supply a digital file of the winning photo. Digital files will not be returned.
* Winners shall allow Folsom Arts Association to display their photographs on the Folsom Arts Association website.
By submitting your entry and payment online, you acknowledge that you have reviewed the rules and agree to enter the contest as described. Enter at your own risk; Folsom Arts Association and the City of Folsom are not responsible in the event of damage or loss of your photo. If you are a prize winner, this Acknowledgement authorizes the Folsom Arts Association or the City of Folsom to use your name and/or photograph for Folsom publicity, promotion and advertising purposes.
Online Registration opens September 1. Check back to register online.
Disclaimer: Information in the official rules is for reference only and is subject to change. The Folsom Arts Association reserves the right to revise, amend, or repeal the contest rules at any time.
Questions? Contact the Folsom Arts Association at email@example.com.