Folsom Arts Association
An Exploration of Contrast: The Unifying Principle
CALL TO ARTISTS
A Live Virtual Exhibit
2020 has been an interesting year to say the least. The social unrest of the past few weeks on top of a nation beleaguered by the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic has brought us challenge after painful challenge. In such times, artists have an opportunity to reflect the times through their artwork.
CALL TO ARTISTS: Members are invited to submit artwork for this live virtual exhibit that explores the theme: Contrast.
Contrast as a noun often means “opposite”: for example, black is the opposite of white, and so there’s a contrast between black ink and white paper. Contrast as a verb generally means identifying and exploring differences. In art, as in life, much beauty comes in the juxtaposition of contrasts.
The endeavor of this artistic exercise is to contemplate life in all its differences and all its fundamental unity, and to transmit those thoughts and feelings to the observer. This could be a spontaneous expression of the artist’s own response to our current social situations or a meditated formulation of the theme presented. The desired end result is a positive statement of the value and inherent beauty in differences. We seek to provide an avenue for artistic voicing and for growth into a kinder, more deliberately compassionate community.
- Open to all FAA members; FREE exhibit.
- All media welcome – 2D, 3D, photography; original works only.
- May incorporate other’s works with permission or attribution [e.g., a poem as inspiration].
- Works should be titled; *may include a short artist statement about the work (*optional).
- FAA will not be involved in any sales/prices will not be published.
- Artists’ email or website may be included upon request.
- The artwork must remain within bounds of civil discourse and shall not portray themes reasonably interpreted (by FAA) to be derogatory to race, religion, culture, sexual orientation, gender or identity.
- Presentation of content must be suitable for family viewing; no hate speech, bullying, or defamatory content.
- Acceptance of artwork to the exhibit is at the sole discretion of the FAA Board of Directors.
- FAA reserves the right to reject or remove artwork determined by the FAA Board to be inconsistent with our stated theme or the purpose of this exhibit, as described above.
- Participants must agree to the FAA liability release.
- REGISTER ONLINE.
- Registration must be accompanied with an image of the artwork in a high quality, large JPEG, JPG, or PNG format.
- Applications are being accepted through August 31, 2020.
- You may submit up-to three images. Submit an image now, submit another one later. New artwork will be added weekly.
- The live virtual exhibit will begin July 1, 2020.
- The FAA Board will determine when to terminate the exhibit.
This is a live, on-going exhibit. Participation is open to all FAA members. New works will be added weekly.